STRAKE JESUIT DEBATE TEAM
Jerry Crist, Head Coach - firstname.lastname@example.org
Murvin Auzenne, Public Forum Coach - email@example.com
Brock Scheller, Assistant Coach - firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Castill, National Circuit LD Coach - email@example.com
Anson Fung, National Circuit PF Coach - firstname.lastname@example.org
Carole Day, Parent Club President - email@example.com
The 2017-2018 Strake Jesuit Debate team is the largest in school history with over 60 members on our Lincoln Douglas and Public Forum teams, combined. Each and every member’s hard work and dedication is what contributes to the Strake Jesuit debate team’s outstanding reputation and ultimately makes this program special. As the team continues to grow, our members have enjoyed more opportunities than ever before to match wits with the finest debaters in the nation. In addition to tournaments in Austin, Dallas, La Vernia, Des Moines, Ft. Lauderdale, Chicago, and Atlanta, our members also traveled to the Blake Tournament, Lexington Invitational, Harvard, and Stanford Invitational.
·Strake Jesuit had 28 debaters qualify for the Texas Forensics Association (TFA) State tournament in La Vernia, TX, a first in school history. This was one of the largest contingents of debaters from one school in the state. Lincoln Douglas (LD) debater, senior Matthew Chen, was crowned the Champion of the State of Texas. LD senior debaters Drew Thornburn and Charles Li tied for 9th place, Vincent Liu placed 17th, and Neville Tom, Josh Herrera, and Wyatt Hatfield tied for 33rd in the state. The Public Forum debaters made a strong showing and were led by Daniel Wang and Pierce Hollier who finished 3rd, Caden Day and RJ Shah finished 9th, and Joseph Dowdall and Joseph Donowho finished 16th.
· The Strake Jesuit Lincoln Douglas team is one of the most competitive teams in the nation. Senior Matthew Chen, in addition to being the top LD debater in the State of Texas, is tied for 4th in the nation with the most bids to the prestigious national Tournament of Champions. Drew Thorburn and Joshua Herrera also qualified to the Tournament of Champions. Two senior LD debaters, Matt Chen and Drew Thornburn qualified to the National Speech and Debate Assoc. tournament hosted in Ft. Lauderdale this summer. On the local circuit, the Strake Jesuit LD team’s debaters were a leading force in the Houston debate community winning numerous tournaments across the state. The LD boys accrued countless state points, speaker awards, and are highly respected as a top team in Texas and the nation in Lincoln Douglas.
·The Strake Jesuit Public Forum (PF) team has grown into a nationally dominant team. The PF team has accumulated a total of 10 TOC bids by making it to late elimination rounds at major national tournaments. The senior team of Daniel Wang and Pierce Hollier received 5 bids to the TOC and are the champions of both the Glenbrooks and Katy Taylor tournaments. For the first time in SJ history, Wang-Hollier advanced to elimination rounds at the TOC. Additionally, the teams of Joseph Donowho and Joseph Dowdall and Caden Day and RJ Shah qualified for the TOC, setting the Strake Jesuit record for PF teams qualifying for the esteemed national tournament. Donowho-Dowdall co-championed at the University of Houston tournament and Wang-Day won the Memorial H.S. tournament. Wang-Hollier and Donowho-Dowdall qualified for the National Speech and Debate Association tournament. The Strake Jesuit PF team has also been enormously successful around the state and on the Houston circuit, winning numerous tournaments, speaker awards, and state points.
2017-2018 SJ Debaters:
The debate team members are among the highest academic achievers at Strake Jesuit.
· Nearly all of the SJ Debaters have been selected for the National Honor Society.
· The majority of the SJ debaters have earned the Strake Jesuit Honor Roll; the Principal’s Honor Roll; and have earned 2nd Highest Honors. Several debaters have also been awarded with the Highest Honors for Academic Excellence.
· SJ Debaters are members of the Key Club, Symphonic Orchestra, SJ Band, Young Democrats, Young Republicans, Stats Club, Crusader Crew, SJET, and Strake Jesuit Magis (magazine).
· 9 SJ Debaters are National Merit Scholar Commended students and/or National Hispanic Scholars
· Junior LD Debater Vincent Liu earned a perfect score on the ACT.
SJ Debate Graduates:
The Strake Jesuit Debate Team is proud of its graduates. In the past few years, our graduates have attended:
· Rice University
· Duke University
· The University of Texas at Austin: Plan II Honors, McCombs Business School, Cockrell School of Engineering, and Pre-Pharmacy School
· The University of Chicago
· NYU, Tisch School of the Arts
· Boston College
· Georgetown University
· Harvard Law School
· University of Chicago Law
· The University of Houston
· Texas A&M
· Baylor University
· Kansas University
· The University of Tulsa