George and Mary K. Fleming Awards/Grants
The Fleming Fund for Teaching Enrichment
The Fleming Fund for Teaching Enrichment was established in 2005 by Mr. George Fleming to support excellence in the classroom by attracting and retaining superior faculty. The principal goal of the program is to provide monetary support of faculty-initiated requests for professional enhancement to improve classroom teaching.
The George and Mary K. Fleming Grants have included (click on links to read a personal account):
- Mike Melancon: Support for presenting a paper in Cambridge, England at the Oxford Round Table.
- Rick Rivers: Jesuit communications conference in Rome.
- Mark McNeil, Nick Arguello, Henri de Ybarrondo, Mike Melancon, Bao Nguyen SJ, Thomas Romano: Theology Department trip to Rome.
- David Daily, Tatum Lynn, Brian Reedy: Physics teachers trip to Chernobyl to study the effects on the people from the 1986 meltdown.
- Mary Tarpey, Will Volding: English teachers trip to England to gain a better understanding of many of the works they teach
- Trip Norkus: Computer Science conference in Scotland
- Michele Catanese - trip to France for the beatification of Bl. Basile Antoine Marie Moreau
- Andy Pruett '97 and Brian Reedy SJ: Faculty members and a group of students on a trip to Eastern Europe, including Auschwitz
- Michele Catanese - trip to Italy
- Mark McNeil & Tommy Romano trip to Jerusalem
Dr. George Fleming
The George and Mary K The Fleming Award for Teaching Excellence
The George and Mary K. Fleming Award for Teaching Excellence is named after Dr. George Fleming, who died in 2003 at the age of 86. Dr. Fleming had a lifelong interest in education. After college graduation, he taught the children of migrant workers and American Indians in Arizona. He never forgot this teaching experience. He earned a doctorate in Education. Dr. Fleming then went on to a successful career as a hospital administrator, which included being an administrator of the Methodist Hospital in Houston and the Santa Rosa Hospital in San Antonio. He was elected President of the Texas Hospital Association and was awarded their highest honor, the Earl Collier Award. Dr. Fleming was married to Mary K. Fleming. They had two sons, George and Scott. Scott was a member of the Strake Jesuit class of 1969.
Two teachers will be selected each year, one who has been teaching at Strake Jesuit College Preparatory for more than fifteen years, and one who has been teaching here fifteen years or less. The Fleming Award winners will be selected for both excellence in the classroom and also for cura personalis of our students.
This Award includes a monetary gift of $10,000.00.
2017 Fleming Award Winners
|Mr. & Mrs. George Fleming, Ms. Ione Meyer, Mr. Carlos Roman, Fr. Jeff Johnson, S.J., and Mr. Ken Lojo|
Past George and Mary K. Fleming Award Recipients:
|2005 - John Hosty and Robert Cremins|
|2006 - Elizabeth Jamerlan and Bob Horn|
|2007 - Tommy Romano and Murvin Auzenne|
|2008 - Will Volding and Guillermo Hernandez-Ching|
|2009 - Christian Haich and Larry Finke|
|2010 - Trip Norkus '95 and Mike Crowley|
|2011 - Linda Ream and Br. Casey Ferlita, SJ|
|2012 - Raul Garcia-Rameau and John Jamerlan|
|2013 - Chuck Kenny and Gabriela Granados|
|2014 - John Fahy and Jerry Crist|
|2015 - Matt Kubus and Eva Riojas|
|2016 - Mr. Chad Collier and Mr. Kelly Clemons|
|2017 - Ms. Ione Meyer and Mr. Carlos Roman|