Updated Service Requirements
"Today our prime educational objective must be to form men and women for others; men and women who will live not for themselves but for God."
- Fr. Pedro Arrupe, S.J., 28th Superior General of the Society of Jesus
Given the guidance on public gatherings and interactions due to COVID-19, we have modified the service requirements for all students who have yet to complete their service project.
Extended Service Requirement Deadline
The service requirement deadline has been extended for all students until May 1. Students who have not already completed their service requirements must do all of the following by May 1:
- Complete their service hours
- Enter their service hours into x2VOL
- Submit their reflection papers to their Theology teachers
Required Hours of Service
- Freshmen – 15 hours
- Sophomores – 15 hours
- Juniors – 25 hours
- Seniors – 100 hours
Completing Your Service Hours
Given the guidance provided by the relevant health authorities, students should not engage in in-person service projects. Students may complete their service hours from home in the following ways:
- Call nursing homes and ask if you can visit with residents over the phone or by video chat. Alternatively, ask if you can become an “email pen-pal” with a resident.
- Contact your local elementary or middle schools to see if you can become an online tutor to students engaged in distance learning.
- Visit the website of your local church, schools, or non-profit to find volunteer opportunities you can complete from home.
- Share information about service opportunities with other Strake Jesuit students and receive credit for sharing what you did and how other students can do similar work.
- Talk with your parents about ways you could safely complete service work from your home.
Any time spent calling potential service opportunities, or communicating with parents or other Jesuit students about how they can do similar service can be counted towards your service hour requirement.
Enter Your Service into x2VOL
- When you complete the required number of service hours, enter them into x2VOL.
- In x2VOL, provide contact information for either (1) a parent who can verify your work, or (2) someone at the organization where you worked who can verify that you have completed it.
Submit a Reflection Paper to Your Theology Teacher
Submit a reflection paper to your Theology teacher reflecting on the following. You should ask your theology teacher when this reflection is due and how he/she would like for you to submit it.
- Describe your service project.
- Describe the organization or person you helped.
- Describe what you did.
- How does your service work relate to your Jesuit education?
- How has your service work helped you become a Man for Others?
- How has this experience impacted your value and belief system?
- How has your service affected your own sense of civic and Christian responsibility?
If you have any questions, please contact our Service Director, Mr. Reynold D’Souza at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713.448.8437.