No Limits Debate Camp
Because of ongoing school closures and the social distancing required by the coronavirus pandemic, we are no longer hosting a live debate camp. Instead, we will host the No Limits camp online, with the changes necessary to provide the best camp experience in that setting.
We appreciate the flexibility families are showing during these unprecedented times, and we look forward to seeing you online for No Limits 2020.
You are invited to attend the Strake Jesuit No Limits Debate Camp. After an outstanding year last summer, we are back, better than ever. We especially encourage our middle school debaters to consider joining us this summer.
ABOUT THE CAMP:
- We will have two levels of labs, one for the beginner or less experienced, and one for the intermediate/more experienced debater (including beginners who attended last year). Chris Castillo will run the intermediate lab. If you attended last year and found the camp to be a useful and positive experience, come back for more advanced training.
- We operate from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM, with a lunch break from 12:00 to 1:00 PM
- Public Forum Camp is back bigger and better than ever.
- New this year- we will offer general Introduction to Public Speaking, with an emphasis on the competitive forms of delivery: informative speaking, persuasive oration, impromptu, and extemporaneous speaking. Mr. Cecil Trent will be the principal instructor.
As before, what we promise you is that you will learn the skills that will make you a winner in competition, in the classroom, and for the rest of your life! We focus specifically on preparing debaters for the local Texas TFA circuit. Nobody else does this.
Dates: June 1st- June 12th
Schedule: Daily from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM, with a lunch break from 12:00 to 1:00 PM
Location: fully online using widely available free tools
Camp Fee: $250.00 (You read that right. Scholarships are also available.)
WHY THIS CAMP
- To train dedicated, serious debaters who can’t afford the $1,000’s of dollars for a national camp.
- Create a cadre of well-trained local debaters who can share their skills with their team mates and raise the level of local circuit debate.
- To allow our best and brightest to develop to their full potential.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND ?
People who are dead serious about becoming top-notch Public Forum and LD debaters , especially on the local circuit.
Freshmen, or other SJ beginning debaters who want to get a head start on their preparation for competition, or just get a sense of what High School Debate is all about .
Rising Seventh and Eight graders who want to learn the basics of successful competitive debate.
WHO ARE THE INSTRUCTORS?
Mr. Murvin Auzenne and Mr. Jerry Crist will be camp co-coordinators and chief instructors. Chris Castillo is in charge of the intermediate/advanced LD lab. He is a long-time fixture on the national circuit as a judge, instructor, and coach with the SJ Debate program. Mr. Crist is the head coach and Mr. Auzenne is the assistant coach of the Strake Jesuit College Preparatory Debate Team. They have helped coach top National debaters, three TFA state champions in 2006, 2008, and 2018; two TFA runners-up in 2009 and 2011; a third-place finisher in 2010; the 2008 NFL National Champion in LD; and numerous other top national debaters. Mr. Auzenne has also taught at the UT debate camp and the VBI camp. We will also be bringing onboard a seasoned local debate program coach to help with the administration of the camp, Mr. Cecil Trent, head coach of the highly successful Memorial High School program. We served 80+ aspiring debaters last summer and look forward to this year’s students with enthusiasm.
We served 80+ aspiring debaters last summer and we look forward to meeting you or your debater this year. JOIN NOW! REGISTER BELOW.